Thursday, July 27, 2006

Vacations are Hard



and Sailing's hard work.

So, I got out the genoa yesterday. Man, that's a powerful sail!

We were hummin' along on Green River Lake waiting for the wind to pick up just enjoying a 3 to 4 MPH port tack after we came around this point, I came about and all of the sudden the wind just grew, and grew, and GREW. Before I realized what was going on we were heeled over 30 degrees and Mrs. JAC was asking if I wanted her to release the genoa halyard. I was just startin' to have fun so I said, "What for? We're OK."

Wrong answer. Man we were really hummin', too.
I finally noticed Mrs. JAC was white knuckled and pale so I brought her in a little closer to the wind until the main started flapping just a bit on the upper luff and eased up on the traveler to let the main spill some air. I just all but released the jib sheet and it popped out like a parachute in front of us. The boat quicly righted and .....

"Man, we were really cookin'! You alright?"

"No. That's it. I'm done. No more sailing for me." And I got the waving index finger.



Wanted:
Sailboat crewmembers.
Hard work. Low pay. Bad food. Free beer.
Hours of relaxation.
Occasional intervals of boredom punctuated by moments of sheer terror.
Apply within.

No comments: