Sunday, February 27, 2005

Tree Huggin' Sons of Bitches

Just how pervasive is this tree hugger bullshit? It gets into everything like sand in your shorts. Example:

We recently swapped an older Ford Excursion for a new Jeep Liberty Diesel and the wife is understandably proud of her unique, and hypercapable vehicle. She couldn't wait to show it to a lifelong buddy, 'Angel', so they met up for a shopping spree. Go figure.
Anywho, Angel made over the wife's truck and then stated that she was 'proud' of her for 'downsizing' because those big trucks are so dangerous to others in little cars. The wife let her know that more people in little cars are hurt or killed by smashing themselves against trees than are killed by impacts with large SUVs/trucks.
This sort of exchange absolutely sickens me. It is not rocket science to realize that a little thing hit by a big thing is destroyed. So what Angel said to my wife was, 'I am so proud of you for putting your children at greater risk of injury to make me feel safer in my POS car I bought because I care more about spending money on gas than I do the safety of my child'.
----disclaimer - The Liberty does not show a significant increase in deaths per million vehicles as opposed to the Excursion. I checked, don't doubt it.
What is with these pie-eyed zombies? The old cathode ray tube really does a number on some folks.

Here's the real world data.
How Does Your Car / Truck/ Minivan stack up?
Cars vs Trucks (and SUVs')

No comments: