Tuesday, July 18, 2006

The Harvest Begins: Tomato Faves

Turns out EP and I have kinda the same idea when enjoying our fresh picked yummy garden tomatos. Here's my take:

Halve, pit, and skin one ripe avocado. For those who don't know - an avocado is ripe when it is soft. I like to be able to readily depress the skin about an 1/8". Those green ones at the store probably aren't ready. To skin it use a tablespoon (after halving and pitting) worked up between the skin and the meat. Place both halves in the bottom of a salad bowl with the little depression the pit left facing up.

Cut a tomato or two into small wedges. Red ripe here boys, not orange or grainy. Place them into the bowl. Salt 'em.

Chop up some of your favorite onions. I use red and green. Go easy here; you can overdo the onions. Put 'em in the bowl.

EP adds cucumbers here and skips the avocado. Nothing complements a tomato like an avocado; once he tries it he'll love it. I ain't putin' cucumbers in mine - wrong texture or somethin'. blech!

Get some good italian dressing and slather it all over the place. EP uses his mom's homemade stuff and I bet it's damned fine.

Now, for the adventurous among ya'; crumble some feta cheese over the whole mess. and dig in.

I try to get a pice of avacado with every tomato wedge, there is just something about those two things together.

MMMM-mmm-MMMM!

From MM's place:
I just love the Cherry and Grape tomatoes. For breakfast, I take a handful and slice them up and saute them with a little basil, fresh-ground black pepper and some olive oil. Then I take them out, and use them as filling for an omelette. Good stuff. I just need to figure out a nice, exotic spicy sausage to put in there too.

No comments: